Friday, November 26, 2010

Thanksgiving 2010

I had a big challenge ahead of me-- making Thanksgiving dinner all my myself! I really don't know what generations before me did without the internet! I was on it all day looking up recipes, videos, and more (with a little peak at facebook here and there).

All Ready!


The Menu:
Turkey
Mashed potatoes and Gravy
Sweet potato souffle
Crock pot stuffing
Cranberry Sauce from a can
Homemade pumpkin pie with homemade pie crust

First, I made the pumpkin pie. I have never made a pumpkin pie OR a crust from scratch, so I was pretty excited. Once I had the crust going, I realized I don't have a rolling pin, so I had to "roll" (aka squoosh) the crust dough by hand. I think it turned out pretty well.




Next, I made the stuffing and prepped the bird. I put him in the oven, and started on the sweet potato souffle and mashed potatoes.

I planned to have everything ready once Jed got home at 3:30, but we sat down to eat at 4:15. I have to say, it was pretty good, AND I got to use my (mom's) china for the first time in our home!







Final thoughts:
It was DELICIOUS
It's a different experience eating a meal you cook, versus cooking a meal someone else cooks. I can't decide if it tastes better or worse when you put all the effort into it, but it is a very good feeling!
I don't know what all the fuss is about. It wasn't so bad. But if I had a crowd of people coming, I would have been super stressed, plus it was pretty hard timing everything so it would all be finished at the same time.

After dinner, we cleaned up and headed to visit my Grandma Leak. I was so glad that we stopped by because she had only eaten a couple of scrambled eggs, and when we showed up with Thanksgiving dinner for her, she was so appreciative. She is the best cook I know, and I was thrilled to receive an "A" grade from her. She was very proud of me for making the entire meal. It felt good!

Next, we headed to the annual POOP part (Pig Out On Pie) thrown by my aunt and uncle in Bountiful. I have a HUGE family, and there were a ton of people there. The England's made over 50 pies for the party, and every single one was delicious (I ate banana cream, key lime, and chocolate mousse.. yum).

After the POOP party, we weren't too pooped to try to get a free kinect game (for our xbox) Dance Central at Old Navy. We arrived at the one in Provo and there was a short line formed already, so we were a little afraid we wouldn't get a game. We got there just before 10pm, and around 10:30 my bare feet in flats (no socks, and the flats have a design with holes in it) were FREEZING. I was legitimately afraid of frostbite, but this sweet biker man brought me a blanket for my feet. It touched my heart! Just after 11pm, the employees came out and handed out the wristbands, and WE GOT ONE! Yayy.. so we jumped back into the truck and warmed up. Five minutes till midnight, we found our biker friend and got back in line. I was worried that we would have to wait in the check-out line for super long, but we grabbed and went.. and were in and out in 15 minutes with over $300 worth of stuff for less than $100. Success!





Sorry so long! Happy Thanksgiving!

6 comments:

Andrea Olsen said...

Where's a picture of your STUFFS?
I love your mini thanksgiving dinner. so cute
anndd adorable china!

Casi Bludorn said...

I'm so proud of you for making that whole dinner! Way to go!

Marie said...

My sister-in-law and I did Black Friday our first time around and found some awesome deals. We didn't even do the Doorbuster deals, but she had a coupon for an extra 20% off, no exclusions.

Sarah said...

I think you're super awesome! And you timed it all to be done at the same time! I have the worst time with that!
I made five pies with homemade crust! But that's about as far as I got...nowhere close to a whole meal! Go you!!

Cami said...

You're the woman! Can't believe you made the WHOLE meal! Way to go. I especially love that you could take a plate to your grandma. Sweet story!

Leanna Wagstaff said...

girl- i am SO impressed!!

Love it all!!

and love you!!